Aug 17, 2010

Letter from an Unborn Child

Mommy,

I like growing inside your tummy. I love it here. I’m always surrounded by warmth. I feel safe. I can also hear and feel your heart beating. I love hearing it. It makes me feel closer to you still. But, sometimes, your heart would start beating fast. I can tell something is bothering you. You’re scared and worried. It makes me worry, too. I don’t want you to be scared, mommy. I want you to be happy. I can’t wait to fully develop and get out into the world so I could comfort you in any way I could. I can’t speak yet so instead, I would hold your finger even if my hands were still tiny. I would smile at you so you would feel happy and smile, too. I would pour out my love to you by looking into your eyes. I would do everything, anything, so you would never be scared ever again.

I guess you were thinking the same thing because one day, you went to the doctor and asked him to take me out. I wasn’t ready but it’s ok, I wanted to see you and take your boo-boos away. I was feeling happy and excited. Finally, I get to see my mommy! But then, you were crying. I don’t know why. Maybe you were scared that something might go wrong. Don’t worry, mommy, everything’s going to be fine. I could feel your hands rubbing your tummy so I held out my hand to touch you from inside. You must’ve felt it because then, you cried even harder. Hush now, mommy, don’t cry! I will be out soon, and we’ll be together at last. We’ll watch the sun rise together. We’ll look at the fluffy clouds. We’ll listen to the rain. We’ll be together with daddy, one big happy family! But, what’s this? There’s a sharp, pointed object here inside with me. It’s cold and it’s scary. Something’s not right. Ouch! It’s hurting me, mommy! I’m scared! Oww! It cut my hand! Mommy! It hurts so bad! Help me, please! Tell the doctor he’s doing it wrong! OUCH! This thing is cutting me to pieces! MOMMY! Help me! Mommy! Mommy..! mommy… mommy.. mom..

I guess, I finally got my wish. I’m out in the world. The doctor took me out, but I’m not whole. I’m in pieces. I’m weak and numb and dying. I’m sorry I can’t make it, mommy. I’m sorry we can’t ever watch the sun or the clouds together. I’m sorry we can’t listen to the rain. I’m sorry I won’t ever get to meet daddy. But you’ll be happy now. You won’t get worried anymore. Before I go, mommy, I want you to know that I love you from the moment I heard your heart beating ‘till the moment mine stopped. And I’ll keep loving you forever, even after that. Tell daddy I love him, too, even if I didn’t get to see him. Don’t cry now, mommy, I’ll be fine. I won’t ever forget you. You will always be my mommy.


With eternal, selfless love,
Your unborn child.

No comments:

Post a Comment