Aug 23, 2013

Response to Inferno by Dan Brown


“It has always been this way. Death is followed by birth. To reach paradise, man must pass through inferno.” 



                I’ve always tried to see the world in black and white because moral grey areas tend to create circular, sometimes paradoxical arguments that only end up confusing me. However, for a second there, author Dan Brown in his latest instalment of the Robert Langdon series, Inferno, made me doubt my own long-established beliefs about life and death and the future of mankind. And that mere second was enough to unhinge me.
                Inferno narrates how famous professor and symbologist Robert Langdon races against time (and powerful enemies) to decipher codes and clues that will help him stop a mad genius from unleashing a scientific creation of apocalyptic potential; a potential to decimate a third of the world’s population.
                I’ve been reading books since I was 4 and in that time, the roles of the protagonists and the antagonists have always been clear cut: the former are the good guys and the latter are the bad guys. This is something I have never ever questioned and have taken as a given. That is, until now.
I find myself both fascinated and horrified that, for the first time, I understand and even agree (to a certain extent) with the antagonist of this story, The Lanky Man with Green Eyes. He believed that, at this rate, if humankind continues to procreate, our species will eradicate what resources we have left on this earth and, ultimately, die out. Mathematically speaking, this is an undeniable truth and for that reason, he intends to release a virus that would put a stop to the exponential growth of the world's population. But then, here lies the dilemma… the moral grey area I was referring to: who are we to play God? Why can’t we just let nature take its course since the only real salvation for humanity lies in the coming of the Kingdom of God? But then, here’s another counter argument (yes, I occasionally debate with myself): If we have the ability and the resources to save ourselves, why shouldn’t we do it? We have been doing it for decades with anti-aging products and surgical procedures designed for longevity. So how is this any different?
I’m just going to let those questions hang there because I can debate with myself all day long and still not come up with a reasonably justifiable answer.
However, for the record, I still stick to my beliefs as a Christian and that’s not changing anytime soon. (WrittenBy:AyesahTecson)

No comments:

Post a Comment